Giles Chapman is a leading international authority on the automobile, its industry, its culture and its history. He’s widely regarded as a guru in his subject, and a born communicator.
|IAM'S ADVANCED DRIVING MAGAZINE
Subject: Better Place/Shai Agassi
AA MAGAZINE ON-LINE
Subject: The Great British Garage
He is London-based.
You can contact him at… email@example.com
…or on: 07721 650766
- Began in 1984 in the automotive industry as a gopher, moving into magazine publishing in 1985 as a fetcher of tea and general lackey.
- By 1991, was editor of Classic & Sports Car, the world’s best-selling classic car magazine. Founded Your Classic magazine too, and also had a stint on Autocar.
- Since 1994, he’s worked as a writer and consultant across all manner of media, and today contributes to famous national newspapers (The Daily Telegraph, The Independent, Sunday Times), top-notch magazines (Condé Nast Traveller, Management Today), and copious motoring publications and websites (Auto Express, Octane).
- Has very wide experience of on-line, merchandising and client publishing. Seems to have an uncanny way with pitch, tone and angle.
- Has lectured on car design at the Royal College of Art, and appears frequently on BBC TV and radio – most recently on the BBC4 Timeshift documentary Magnificient Machines: The Golden Age of the British Sports Car; the audience can’t get enough, apparently, as it's been repeated seven times.
- Wordsmith for marketing companies and ‘manuscript doctor’ for stricken publishers. Highly expensive, but worth it.
- Has written or co-written some 30 books – My Dad Had One Of Those, written with Top Gear script editor Richard Porter, was a non-fiction best-seller in 2007. It's sold almost 170,000 copies, making it one of the best-selling car books of all time.
- The latest are The Ford Capri Story, The VW Beetle Story and The Land Rover Story (all for The History Press). And now comes Cars We Loved In The 1970s, drenched in motoring nostalgia, with titles on the 1960s, 1980s and 1950s in preparation. They are all, obviously, brilliant!
- Owns a unique car image library, bursting with pictorial gems, that’s extremely well organised. Picture research assignments are frequent. and mostly produce surprising and/or delightful results, such as with Top Gear: The Cool 500, published in 2012.
- Awards: Jet Media Excellence (twice) in 1990s, Jeep Consumer Journalist Of The Year 2005, BCA Feature Writer Of The Year 2008, winner of the 2008 Montagu of Beaulieu Trophy for Chapman's Car Compendium book, AA Environment Award 2011. Certificates are NOT displayed on the office wall.